Monday, March 30, 2009

Never Doubt Ina

I mean ever.

She has just sold me for life. I adapted her Mustard Roasted Fish that she had on her show today, along with the Roasted Broccoli which was also featured. I am rarely stunned by an entree and I never cook fish, but this has just entered my standard meal routine. So much so that I will probably make it again tomorrow night, even though I used all the ingredients on tonight's dinner.

Besides being phenomenally good, this is a recipe that no one, and I mean no one could mess up. If you can stir and use a timer (which I have complete faith that you can), this one's for you.

I really shouldn't have been so surprised that I liked this dish so much, because it is eerily reminiscent of a fish dish from my childhood. This standard mom recipe combined mustard, mayo, salt and pepper on top of white fish. This is pretty much what Ina, and eventually I did, but with a few more sophisticated (sorry mom) upgrades. And boy was it out standing.

For the Roasted vegetables, they got kicked up too. Roasted vegetables are a standard in my book, but the way I did them tonight really heightened the flavor and presentation. I still love the old standard but if you have a little more time (and I only mean 5 minutes while the veges are roasting away) it is definitely worth trying.

I wasn't very hungry tonight, so I only made these two recipes but brown rice really would have been delicious alongside the fish and veges. I know it may sound boring and predictable but I think the nuttiness of the rice would pair beautifully when layered under the juicy fish, letting the cream sauce drip down and flavor the rice.

Mustard Crusted Fish

Ingredients:

4 4-6 oz white fish fillets ( I used wild turbot fillet )

Sauce:
2 tbsp low fat mayonnaise
1 tbsp grainy mustard ( I used homemade pink peppercorn tarragon)
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp pickled caper berries (I buy these in the olive bar section of Whole Food or Central Market) or regular jar capers, chopped
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Place each fish in a piece of foil. Mix all sauce ingredients together and divide equally among 4 fillets, spreading to coat top. Curl foil around edges of fish and place in oven for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.

Dressed Roast Vegetables


4 carrots (I used ruby), sliced diagonally
4 crowns of broccoli, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

Dressing:
zest of 1 lemon
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
2 handfuls toasted walnuts, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
salt and pepper
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp olive oil

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Toss vegetables with olive oil, salt and pepper and place on baking sheet in the oven. Roast for 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.

In the meantime, combine lemon zest, parsley, garlic, walnuts and Parmesan cheese. Chop finely all together.

When vegetables are done, mix with the Parmesan mixture and add in remaining ingredients. Toss all to combine, serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment